39 Speakers on One WeekendLeadership
A couple of years ago, Life.Church gave 39 different staff members the opportunity to preach. We called it our first “Developmental Weekend.” Since then, we've done different versions of this at our campuses (we now call it "team teaching"), and we've seen excitement from both staff and attenders every time we do it.
I’ll share what we did in case you'd like to try this in your ministry:
- I prepared an outline for everyone to use. The outline gave the staff members a consistent message but plenty of room to personalize the texts and application. From campus to campus, attenders would hear the same general principles but through the unique lens of different speakers.
- I prerecorded an explanation to get our church behind the concept and motivate them to support our rookies.
- I also prerecorded a seven-minute introduction to the message and a seven-minute ending-plus-prayer time.
- Our Campus Pastors selected people to preach one or more services at our then 14 different campuses. We selected Missions Pastors, LifeGroup Pastors, Youth Pastors, Host Team Coordinators, and more. Each speaker had about 15 minutes to speak.
We love this experience. Here are several of the noticeable benefits:
- The Campus Pastors spent time preparing and investing in their team members.
- The church embraced the idea of developing the next generation of leaders.
- The staff members who spoke got exposure to large groups of people, increasing their pastoral influence.
- Our staff learned that your position doesn’t determine your influence. You could be called on to do more at any time.
Whether you have a multi-site church or one location, you have the opportunity to train up the next generation of preachers and leaders. Find ways to involve the younger or less experienced members of your ministry team—whether it's teaching part of a message, leading an outreach, or spearheading a new program.
Welcome to Life.Church Open Ideas
Looking for a Life.Church Swerve post? Starting now, you can find it here on Open, the new home for leadership ideas from Craig Groeschel, Bobby Gruenewald, and other Life.Church leaders.